How to use Eco-Premier soap/soapberry powder.
Because soapberry powder is especially susceptible to humidity, it is important to keep it dry until use and store it in a closed container.
- For laundry–Add 1-1 ½ teaspoons of Eco-Premier powder to wash water before adding the clothes.
- For hand wash, agitate the clothes in the laundry water with 1-1 ½ teaspoons of Eco-Premier powder. Allow the laundry to soak for at least an hour and the wash as normal.
The powder will not totally dissolve in the water, but it does not seem to have a problem with leaving a residue on clothing if it is put in the water before adding the laundry. However, some people prefer to put the powder in a small cloth bag.
The powder will not produce a lot of suds so it is ideal for HE washers. It can be put directly in the tub or in the normal soap dispenser.
Soapberry powder can be used as a mild abrasive cleaner. Pour a small amount of powder on the surface to be cleaned or on a damp cleaning cloth or sponge.
How to make extract from powdered soapberries
2 tablespoons Eco-Premier powder
4 cups of water
(optional–1 teaspoon salt o baking soda)
Add powder to the water in a sauce pan. Heat to boiling. Remove from the heat and allow the powder to steep in the water. When the water has cooled, add the salt or baking soda as a preservative. The liquid not used immediately should be saved in the refrigerator. The extract will last 3-4 days at room temperature for several weeks when saved in the refrigerator. The extract can also be frozen as ice cubes to store for a longer time. Two or three “soap cubes” will do a load of laundry. The used berries or residue of powder can be used as a natural fertilizer.
How to use Eco-Premier Saopberry Extract
- Use 1/3-1/2 cup of Eco-Premier extract to do a normal load of laundry.
- General Household Cleanser
- In a small jar, combine 1 part extract with 1 part water.
- (2-3 drops of essential oil—optional)
- (2 spoonfuls of white vinegar — optional.)
The general cleanser can be used to clean floors, counters, windows, dishes, etc.
Keep unused extract in the refrigerator.
- Body cleanser
- Combine 1 teaspoon of extract in 1 cup of water. Pour about 2 tablespoons of cleanser on a damp cloth as a face or body wash.
- Foamy hand wash. In an atomizing bottle add one part extract to two parts water. Add a teaspoon of glycerine for more foam. (Since the extract does not have a preservative, make only the amount of liquid that can be used in 2 or 3 days.
- Insect repellent. Combine 1 cup of extract with 1 cup of water. The liquid can be applied to the skin as a natural insect repellent.
- Foliar plant spray Add 1-2 tablespoons of extract to a small spray bottle. Fill the bottle with water and shake. Spray the leaves of your plants to help control insects and fungus.